We often get asked, “What are the most common mistakes people make when applying the Scream Team Prosthetic?”
So here is our list of common first-timer mistakes:
- Not doing your hands: You apply your foam latex appliance, color to perfection, add your contacts, wig and costume…The dead giveaway? Always your hands! Most forget to add makeup to their hands if they are exposed. Or you can simply add gloves. It helps with the illusion that your character actually “lives”…
- Not doing the back of your neck: We see this all the time! Even in movies! (Especially the ones where the vampires “sparkle”! AAAArgh!) The back of the neck is completely forgotten about, mainly because you just don’t see it in the mirror. Have a friend help you with this task. Again, it helps the illusion.
- Applying the lip of the foam latex appliance BELOW your own lip. Our Scream Team appliances are designed to go ON the lip not under lip. ‘Nuff said.
- Not reading the directions thoroughly. Oh heck, this is a BIG ONE! Reading our awesome directions cannot be that HARD, right? They’re fun and informative. Do yourself a big favor: Read the instructions! All of them. See them as your downloadable “Jiminy Cricket.”
- Using a non-castor oil based makeup: If you did not read the instructions (see above), this can happen. You use a commonly found, inexpensive petroleum based makeup from Target or Walgreen’s or what-not and your beloved facial appliance degrades, swells, and looks like a seriously bad staff infection! (Not a look that you were not shooting for…) Why? Petroleum oil based makeup degrades foam. Sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. Why risk it? Use a castor oil based makeup only at the very least for the base of the foundation.
- Doing TOO MUCH: Some pieces look best when they are handled with lighter touch. Honestly, The Clown looks awesome with not alot of detail work. Stippling is a very effective technique, but let’s not get out of hand and stipple the colors of the rainbow on poor old Hagatha.
- Not doing ENOUGH: On the flip side, using our lovely Dead Lee and just painting it flesh tone with no highlights and shadows just makes him look …well, flat. “Alive” and flat. Not a good look for a zombie. Every Scream Team piece can use shadowing and a bit if highlighting. Again, the instructions cover this in detail.
- Not having fun with it: Stressing over/seeking perfection can take the fun out of the whole makeup experience. Relax, play. Have FUN. You are not curing some disease… you are having a blast on Halloween, remember?
- Using the Scream Team Instructional DVD for a coaster instead of watching it. The Scream Team Instructional DVD is an invaluable tool for those who are “visual learners”. Why not order it, and if you do, make sure and watch it at least once before the big night.
- Not giving yourself enough time: The first time you apply your Scream Team appliance, it should take you an hour or maybe two. Some customers have taken longer– but give yourself at least that much time. Then you can go our and really experience Halloween on a whole new level!
Check in on you later.. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with ideas about what you may want to read about here. We are open to almost all suggestions…;)